Steve McShane serves Salinas as City Councilman for the Third District encompassing South Salinas including Oldtown and industrial complexes south of the city. Steve holds a degree in Soil Science from Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo and a Masters in Agribusiness Administration from Santa Clara University. In 2005, he opened McShane’s Nursery & Landscape Supply. Steve previously served as chair of the Salinas Planning Commission and Vice Chair of both the city’s Design Review Board and Traffic and Transportation Commission. Steve is a strong advocate for public safety, neighborhoods & lean government. Steve represents the City of Salinas to the Monterey Bay Air Pollution Control District. He also sits on the Oldtown Salinas Association Board and the Board for the Association of Monterey Bay Area Governments. When not working of volunteering, Steve can be found traveling, hiking or gardening in his own backyard.
– Founder & Chair of Salinas Graffiti Task Force
– 8+ well attended & focused meetings on the subject
– Fundraised to establish website and on-line / text / app based reporting system
– Successfully aided in transition of graffiti management from Republic Services back to City of Salinas
– Funded & established the first ever smart phone app for reporting city code violations & issues
– Played key role in applying Granicus electronic agenda management & meeting streaming technology
– Played key role with early support & advocacy for OpenGov financial transparency software
– Played key role with early support for Priority Based Budgeting
Neighborhoods & Public Safety
– Strong advocacy and key support for grants directed toward emergency personnel and their equipment.
– Co-Founder / Past-President, Los Olivos-Riker Neighborhood Association
– Chair (4 years), Los Olivos – Riker Neighborhood Fair
– Co-Founder & Vice Chair of Salinas Neighborhood Council (3 years)
– Successful grant funding for Salinas Neighborhood Council by Community Foundation
– Founder of City Neighborhood Grants Program
– Founder / Chair of city-wide Holiday Home Lighting Competition
– Co-Founder / Past-Chair, Salinas United: Community Clean Up and Engagement Event
– Founder / Past-Chair, Salinas Valley Food & Wine Festival
– Founder / Chair, Salinas Valley Ag Technology Summit 2014
– Key advocate in over-haul of the City Permitting Department
– Host & Co-Host to more than 12 Community Meetings as City Councilman
– Constituent Case Work: Successfully administered 80+ constituent casework files over 4 years.
Parks & Recreation:
– Co-Sponsor / Donor to Bataan Park Renovation Project
– Founder / Sponsor to Central Park Community Garden Project
– Advisor / Donor to Central Park Rose Garden Renovation Project
Traffic & Transportation
– Key role in upgrades to partial street closure at Los Palos and Abbot Street intersection.
– Key role in SVMH Traffic Calming & Parking Program and “Citizen Engagement” Process
Key votes & policy development
– Deciding vote on City’s move to regulate / ban single use plastic bags
– Founder / Secretary, Salinas Public Safety Funding Committee
Steve’s done a lot for Salinas, but he’s just getting started. Read Steve McShane’s 2014 Platform to find out what he’ll focus on in the next four years.